UCF currently stands with a 2-5 record as has an offense that has been ineffective for most of the…
ECU Pirates vs. UCF Knights - Final Preview
Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 8pm EST
Bright House Networks Stadium - Orlando, FL
Records: UCF 2-5, ECU 4-3
Series History: ECU 6-1, last meeting: ECU won 52-38
Five most important things for UCF:
1. Don't hold the ball. To put it simply, freshman quarterback Rob Calabrese needs to release the ball sooner. Just about all of the nine sacks UCF suffered during last week's loss to Tulsa were on Calabrese for hanging on to the ball too long. If Brian Watters is not open, he can't be afraid to check it down to a TE, or RB.
2. Joe Burnett needs to step up. He had by far the worst game of his season last week. Opponents may not have to kick to him, but he needs to find a way to get involved in this game and show off the play making ability that he has.
3. Score off turnovers. You cannot receive the ball on your opponents side of the 50, come up with nothing and expect to win games. The Knights will more than likely force multiple turnovers and they need to capitalize off those if they want to beat a good ECU team.
4. Hang onto the ball. Blake Clingan should not have another bad game and UCF should be able to stop the Pirates as long as they don't cough up the rock and give ECU good field position.
5. Enjoy the home cooking. UCF is a much different team at home; a much better one. The Knights are undefeated versus conference foe at Bright House Networks Stadium and they need to thrive off the energy in the stadium for this Sunday night game.
What to look for:
1. Look for the weather to impact the game. It is going to be cold by Florida standards and is expected to rain. UCF would like to run the ball anyways, but may be forced to.
2. Look for Brynn Harvey and Calabrese to get the majority of the snaps. O'Leary has been impressed with their improvement and performances in practice. Unless they stumble, they will take most of the snaps.
3. Look for special teams to make a big difference. Blake Clingan had a terrible game in a windy environment at Tulsa, and will look to rebound when he is called upon. Joe Burnett was not kicked to into the Tulsa game, and ECU will likely follow suit, so someone else will have to step up.
4. Look for Brynn Harvey to have a big day. The Knights want to run and he is starting to develop patience and vision, to go along with his great speed and agility. As a true freshman he is improving every week and should be able to get the ground game going.
5. Look for field goal kicking to play a role. This game will most likely be a defensive struggle and it could come down to which kicker is more accurate. You never know what you're going to get with any of the UCF kickers.
KnightsDaily.com Recommended Stories
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More
Video Tip: The 1-Minute Golf Swing
Here’s a way to watch football and improve your golf swing at the same time. In your living room (or on the range), practice the one-minute golf swing, as shown in this video. Set the timer on your…Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Week 7 Recap
Dr. Roto, like many others, can't believe Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (pictured above) passed for over 300 yards and rushed for over 100 yards in the same game. First time that's ever happened…Read More
Windy Weather Whitetails
As soon as those winds fall off, get into the stand! I always tell people you can't kill them if you aren't out, but if you want to try and pick an opportune time – this is it.Read More